Hurricanes winds can cause severe damage to your property, therefore, it's crucial that you prepare beforehand. Proper planning can help you protect your homes.
Things to do prior to a hurricane:
- Prune branches: If you have a lawn, prune the dead or dying branches
- Bring small plants inside and find a secure place for big plants before a storm to avoid them from being thrown around with the wind and damaging your property or adjacent properties
- Turn off the sprinkles
- Contract a certified arborist. Ask to see their license, registration, or insurance if necessary.
- Do not remove more than 25% off a canopy from its normal growth
- Avoid cutting the root system. The arborist will determine if it is safe to prune the roots
- Ensure to dispose of all tree branches and logs to prevent them from becoming projectiles during a severe storm
Things to do after a hurricane:
- Inspect your home
- Pick up leaves, twigs, and debris from your lawn or backyard
- Make sure that there is no debris or trees that may have fallen during the storm in a power line. Contact FPL immediately for service