Permit Procedures

The Engineering Division issues permits for all work to be done in the public right-of-way.

The purpose of the permit is to provide a means for controlling the construction and installation of public facilities and to ensure that such construction conforms to applicable standards and specifications. The process also focuses on protecting the health, welfare and safety of the general public. Construction within the public right-of-way (ROW) is under the jurisdiction of the City of Sweetwater Department of Engineering. Public Works and Engineering permits are used to allow construction work in the public right-of-way. These permits typically require a plan showing the proposed work, as well as fees and surety to ensure the completion of the work


Permit Steps:

  • We are only accepting permits applications through email. No hard copies. Please print the permit application and fill it out properly, legibly and send it to Make sure to fill out all fields including square feet, value of job and a detailed description. The permit can be found here!
  • Plans shall be digitally signed and sealed.
  • Submit an upfront fee in the amount of $100 payable to the City of Sweetwater.  Payment can be made by check, cashier check, money order or credit card (credit card authorization form can be found here. Checks payable to the City of Sweetwater Attn:  Engineering Division 1701 NW 112 Ave #103 Sweetwater, FL 33172 .
  • Applicant/owner will receive a number within 48 hours.  Use the assigned number in subject line of email correspondences.
  • Review comments, if any, will be emailed to the email addresses disclosed in the permit.
  • Permit fees will be sent to email addresses disclosed in the permit.
  • Payment of permit fees are satisfied.
  • Permit issuance.  Permit will be issued only if Contractor has been assigned to the job. Applicant/owner shall notify contractors information to
  • Contractor must be  registered with the City of Sweetwater (registration information can be found at Building and Zoning.  An electronic copy of the approved permit approved plans and permit card will be emailed only to the email address disclosed in the permit. All documentation must be updated annually.

NOTE: Permits that are in the approval process and dormant for 180 days will be deemed not active.  Applicant will have to reapply.

Permit Conditions:

  • A 24-hour notification shall be made when a site or job is ready for construction for which a permit has been granted. Contact the Engineering Division via email at
  • Plans/Profile sections and details, drawn to scale, with 11”X17” as minimum paper size.
  • For driveway permits, submit a signed and sealed property Survey less than 2 years old.
  • If vehicular and pedestrian traffic needs to be temporarily modified from its designed configuration, a Maintenance of traffic (MOT) is required.
  • If work is on public or private property submit copy of easement documents or written permission from owner.
  • Pre-construction meeting with the City Engineer may be requested. Call 305-455-6585, at least 72 hours in advance to schedule prior to start of construction.
  • For Emergency work, you mut notify before accessing the jobsite at 305-455-6585 or via email at An after the fact permit shall be submitted to the Engineering Division within five working days after the work is complete.
  • Hours of construction: Standard time: 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday.  No work shall be performed on Sundays or holidays without prior authorization from the City Administration, except for emergencies.  If the Contractor deemed it necessary to work on Sundays and holidays, the Contractor must contact the Engineering Division at least 72 hours in advance.
  • Inspection are required at least one (1) business day before commencing of work, as well as, before proceeding to the next stage of installation or construction. To schedule an inspection, email at at least 24 hours in advance. Excavation, sub-base, lime rock base, form, pavement installation and final inspection (including form removal, sod and site cleanup) are required. A progress inspection may be required by the City at the end of every week for site safety maintenance and erosion and sediment control of job sites that are in progress.  All Inspections must be approved, including the final inspection upon completion of the project in order to close the permit.
  • Failure to obtain an approved inspection within 180 calendar days will cause this permit to expire and additional fees levied.  A permit becomes null and void if work or construction is not commenced within 180 days or is suspended or expires because of lack of progress or abandonment. The Contractor or permittee shall be responsible to keep track of the expiration date and status of their permit.
  • If work requires off duty police services, permit owner shall, whenever possible, use officers of the City of Sweetwater Police Department for said off-duty assignments.  Approved MOT's which do not require an off duty police officer, may require one during emergencies or when other unexpected circumstances arise, and such requirement will be determined by the City of Sweetwater Police Department  Use of non-Sweetwater law enforcement officers is authorized only on those occasions where the Sweetwater Police Department has been unable  to provide services. (Ordinance 3589 Art1, 11-7-2011)Contact Police Department at (305) 552-9900 to request for traffic officer assistance.
  • Notification letters may be required to be delivered to area residents, as required by the City.  Submit a copy of the notice to the Engineering Division  for review prior to distribution.
  • Call Sunshine One Call at 1-800-432-4770 for locations before digging.
  • All construction areas must be kept clean, neat, and sanitary and be restored to original condition or better. Right-of-ways and neighboring properties shall be kept free from dirt and debris and must be protected from damage by equipment or vehicles.
  • Equipment and materials shall be stored within designated material & equipment storage area and shall not be stored on public right-of-ways.
  • Do not discharge water into right-of-ways or storm drains without prior approval or permits from DERM & City of Sweetwater Engineering Division.
  • Protect all stormwater catch basins from construction debris, sediments and potential pollutants using City approved Best Management Practices methods. FDEP CGP/NOI permits are required for projects disturbing more than 1 acre in land area.
  • Prevent creation of any obstructions or conditions that may become dangerous to the public.
  • Backfill and temporary asphalt patches must be installed adequately at the end of every workday unless otherwise authorized by the City.
  • Repair promptly any and all damages to public or private property caused by this exercise of the privileges granted under this authorization. Restoration shall be at least equal to the condition existing at the time of the damage or injury or as directed and approved by the City of Sweetwater Engineering Division.
  • This permit is issued pursuant to the City of Sweetwater Right-of-Way City Code. The City does not agree to any language found on the drawings, except as may be required by the Miami Dade County Building Code. This permit does not constitute approval or compliance with the rules, regulations, or requirements of any other jurisdiction, which may relate to the above project.
  • All work must be designed and constructed in accordance with the most current revision of the Miami-Dade County Public Works Manual, Parts 1 & 2, unless otherwise specified or directed by the City to conform to the City of Sweetwater Standard Specifications or FDOT Standard Specifications.  All work requires a permit unless specifically exempted by the City.
  • For Assistance Please contact: Permit Counter at the Engineering Division Office at 1701 NW 112 Avenue Unit 103. Sweetwater FL 33172
    • Via Telephone: 305-455-6585
    • Via Email:

Right of Way permitting, Telecommunication & Utility companies.

Subject to all applicable provisions of the City, a utility company may perform all necessary work to construct, occupy and maintain its Facilities. The utility must comply at all times with all policies, procedures, and directives of Public Works, Prior to the installation, placement or removal of any conduits, cables, pole or pole lines, facilities, appurtenances or the start of any other type of construction on the City's public rights-of-way, the Utility shall, pursuant to the requirements of existing or subsequently enacted City ordinances, obtain all permits from, and where applicable pay all fees.

All construction and maintenance of the utility's installation within City public rights-of-way incident to utility's provision of service shall regardless of who performs installation and/or construction, be and remain the responsibility of the utility.

The utility's work performance, equipment, and job sites shall be in compliance with all applicable City, County, State, and Federal requirements. The utility's work, while in progress, shall be properly protected at all times with suitable barricades, bags, lights, or other devices as required by the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, FDOT Roadway and Traffic Design Standards and/or any requirements of the Engineering Division to protect all members of the public having occasion to use the portion of the streets involved or adjacent property.

The permittee and/or his contractor is responsible to provide trained individuals who are knowledgeable in the principles of proper Temporary Traffic Control zone the approved TTC plan and are effective in providing reasonably safe conditions for motorists, bicyclists, pedestrians, and workers.

Click here to the City of Sweetwater Construction in the Right of way Ordinance #4391.

Click here to the City of Sweetwater Telecommunications  Ordinance #4479.



The public rights-of-way, including sidewalks, curbs, gutters, and landscaping must be restored to their legally permissible pre-existing condition, including any aesthetic enhancements thereto and any adjacent private property damaged during construction, maintenance or repair, of the Utility's facility within forty-five (45) days of completion of the construction, maintenance or repair.

Construction and/or Reconstruction shall be in accordance with the approved construction plans and with applicable codes, regulations and/or Ordinance of the City and Miami Dade County, the Florida Green Book, FDOT Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction and FDOT Roadway and Traffic Design Standards and the Florida Building Code.

NOTE: Maintenance of the entire road system within Miami-Dade County is performed by several additional government agencies. For example the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT)

Click here to access the City Roads Map


Permits are required for (but not limited to) the following activities:

  • Sanitary Sewer Lateral – for construction of a new connection to the sanitary sewer system.
  • Water Service Line – for construction of a new connection to the water mainline.
  • Sanitary Sewer and Water Main Lines – for construction/replacement of a new sanitary sewer and water main lines.
  • Private Utility – for utility facilities constructed in the public right-of-way or utility easements by private companies or franchised utilities.
  • Driveway/Sidewalk – for new driveways (approaches) or sidewalk for single-family, new subdivision, commercial/industrial.
  • Paving and Drainage – for construction of a new stormwater system, private and public roads, parking lots on private property.
    For design criteria and technical specifications refer to Miami Dade County Public Works Manuals.
  • Additions to existing developments that may directly or indirectly affect the adjacent the Right-of-way.
  • Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) Plans – for any maintenance of traffic to be set up in public roads
  • Light Pole Banners
  • Some Traffic Control Devices.
  • Memorial Markers.
  • Street Name Signs.
  • Dumpster enclosure cases for Code Compliance.
  • Construction Management Plan
  • Traffic Calming Devices
  • Telecommunications - placing a new or replace an existing communications facility, utility pole, wireless support structure or other facilities or structure