You must first determine the risk and strengthen your home before a storm. Make a plan and review your insurance policies beforehand. In flood zones, consider flood insurance. The State of Florida is prone to hurricanes and it's critical for homeowners to plan ahead of a storm.
Preparing your home before a storm:
- Survey your home (Create a list of valuable items in your home and the approximate cost)
- Install shutters or secure windows
- Sliding glass door should also be covered in case of a hurricane
- Cut tree branches or trees
- Secure garage doors to avoid them from being pulled by high winds and becoming potential projectiles
- Repair or replace damaged fences
- Inspect the roof
- Secure patio furniture or bring them inside
- Move your car to a secure location
- Secure loose rain gutters and shutters
- Tie-down any sheds, swings sets, and other large items.
Preparing your home after the storm: