City Clerk: Carmen Garcia
The City Clerk is one of the two charter official positions that are appointed by the City Commission.
Carmen J. Garcia was appointed City Clerk on July 19, 2016, and serves as Director of Administrative Services, Secretary to the City Commission, Official keeper of the City Seal, Records Custodian and Supervisor of Elections for the City of Sweetwater.
Mrs. Garcia was hired by the city on June 13, 1998, as Maintenance Department Secretary, later in October 2002 went to assist in the Mayor’s Office as Mayor’s Secretary and was appointed Deputy City Clerk from February 2004 through July 2016. In this capacity, she has supervised the City’s Passport Acceptance Facility which has been nationally recognized by the U.S. Department of State as one of its best.
Mrs. Garcia obtained her Master Municipal Clerk designation on June 7, 2013. Professional Memberships include Miami-Dade County Municipal Clerk’s Association, Florida Association of City Clerk’s, International Institute of Municipal Clerks, Business Tax Official
The City Clerk’s Office strives to ensure effective functioning and present a courteous and professional service being priority number one to serve with excellent customer service to residents, business owners and the public.
Departments under City Clerk:
- Passport Office
- Business Tax Department
The Office of the City Clerk provides assistance with the following responsibilities:
- Collect all paperwork for the agendas, copy all papers for the agenda, prepare and put agendas together for Regular Commission Meetings, Special Meetings, Elected Officials Pension Board Meetings, and other meetings, distribute and send out agendas.
- Attend meetings, meeting minutes, publishes notices of public hearing items and publishes statutorily mandated advertisement.
- Drafts ceremonial documents (including proclamations, commendations, plaques and certificates of appreciation.
- Administer Oath.
- Attest official City documents, contracts and agreements.
- Executes records and distributes Ordinances and Resolutions.
- Ordinances and Resolutions passed by the City Commission are permanently archived by the City Clerk.
- Processes the codification of City’s Code of Ordinances and maintains and updates City Code.
- Handles lobbyists' registration.
- Ensures that yearly Financial Disclosure Forms are submitted.
- City Clerk’s Office is responsible for reporting of incidents and general liability claims to the City’s insurance carrier.
- The City Clerk is the Records Management Liaison Office for the City.
- Certifies city records.
- The City Clerk supervises municipal and special elections of the City in conjunction with the Miami-Dade County Department of Elections.
- Prepares election package for candidates.
- Qualifies candidates.
- Publishes legal notices as per Florida Statutes and City Code.
Deputy City clerk: Juan Carlos Llera
Business Tax Official: Alexis Adams
Business Tax Clerk: Ana Martinez
City Clerk Assistant: Nubia Gomez
Receptionist: Katia Acosta