Public Works Department


Service Modifications during Coronavirus Response

Effective March 23, 2020 permit drop-off is suspended, and office location is closed until further notice. We will continue to monitor and respond to phone calls and emails during the closure.

Please send a PFD copy of new and revised permit applications to prior
to mail them. We will reply to you within 48 hours if the documents are sufficient before you can mail the permit application.

We will continue to receive/accept permit applications, registrations and fee payments ONLY via mail. Please
submit your document to the attention of:

City of Sweetwater
Engineering Department
Eric J. Gomez, P.E.
City Engineer
1701 NW 112 Avenue Unit 103
Sweetwater FL 33172.

For inspections, please contact 305-455-6585 at least 72 hours in advance or via email at

Public Works Department

1701 NW 112 Ave, Unit 103
Sweetwater, FL 33172

Phone: (305) 455-6585
Phone: (305) 221-0411 Ext. 3507

Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM


Allan Abolila

Phone: (786) 606-3726
Phone: (786) 507-4850

About Public Works

Public Works is responsible for the engineering, Right-of-way construction and coordinating with Maintenance Department of the City's numerous roads, along with the traffic signals and signs that support them. The department is committed to beautifying and maintaining landscapes along the public rights-of-way of the City.

Mission Statement

The Mission of the City of Sweetwater Public Works Department (PWD) is to oversee right-of-way construction, and preserve a safe, functional and aesthetically pleasing public infrastructure in Sweetwater for the residents and visitors while providing the highest levels of customer service and responsiveness. The PWD is responsible for the engineering review permitting and inspection of the roads, public areas and facilities, beautification projects stormwater utility and the construction management of capital improvement projects. The Department of Public Works also manages the Stormwater Utility, and manages design and construction of capital improvement projects, property acquisition and environmental permitting.

The PWD issues permits for all work performed within the public right-of-way while work performed on private property is permitted through the Building Department. The PWD also operates the City of Sweetwater Stormwater Utility to ensure the efficient management of the stormwater runoff within City boundaries. The PWD also, provides administration for projects within the Capital Improvement Plan to facilitate timely and cost effective construction of improvements.

Department Goals

Roadway and Sidewalk Improvements

  • Review Permits and Inspect City roadways for safe vehicular and public travel. Maintain sidewalks, curbs, and gutters to reduce citizen requests for maintenance


Traffic Calming

  • Provide for the efficient and safe movement of people and pedestrians within the City through coordination with City Planner and the use of traffic engineering studies, design, installation, maintenance and operation of traffic control devices including directional signs, speed limit signs, permanent traffic calming devices and pavement markings


Stormwater Improvement Projects

  • Continue to implement capital improvement projects in accordance with the City's Storm Water Master Plan. Revenue from the City's Stormwater Utility Fee and grant funds will be used to support both Capital and Operating Expenses.


Right of Way Enhancements

  • Continue to coordinate and manage available resources to enhance the aesthetics of the City Neighborhoods, while strengthening the infrastructure where needed.


Capital Improvements

  • The Public Works Department, building on the foundations described above, has begun the implementation of improvements throughout the City
  • Roadway Resurfacing - The Department of Public Works is committed to providing quality roadways to meet the needs of its residents and the traveling public. They are committed to doing this in a safe, efficient, and cost-effective manner.
  • Sidewalks
  • Stormwater Projects - Completion of several stormwater projects throughout the City
  • Traffic Calming
  • Street & Welcome Monument Signage
  • City Street Lights

Land Development

Public Works will provide you with fee schedules, application forms, instructions, and important notices associated with the submittal of new land development applications within the City of Sweetwater.

All land development within the City must comply with the land development code for the City of Sweetwater, Florida, as adopted by Ordinance No. 2211 on December 6, 1993, and effective on December 6, 1993; Chapter 28, Subdivision Code of Miami-Dade County and Chapter 177 ,and Florida Statutes along with other State and local regulations. Applicants submit new land development to the City of Sweetwater to be reviewed for compliance with the City Code, Miami-Dade County and all other State and County legislation.

For more information, please contact Public Works Department at (305) 455-6585 or Miami Dade Land Development Division at (305) 375-2141.


The Public Works Department issues permits for all work to be done in the public right-of-way. Please complete the PW Permit Application front and back (the form may be downloaded from the City's website at

Public Works Forms

Also submit two (2) set of plans signed and sealed. All contractors need to be registered with the Building Department in order to obtain permits. Please contact us at (305) 455-6585 to request the required forms in order to start the process.

To request an inspection, you can contact us at (305) 455-6585 with at least 24 hours in advance.


Permit and Utilities Companies

Subject to all applicable provisions of the City, a utility company may perform all necessary work to construct, occupy and maintain its Facilities. The utility must comply at all times with all policies, procedures and directives of Public Works, Prior to the installation, placement or removal of any conduits, cables, pole or pole lines, facilities, appurtenances or the start of any other type of construction on the City's public rights-of-way, the Utility shall, pursuant to the requirements of existing or subsequently enacted City ordinances, obtain all permits from, and where applicable pay all fees to Public Works.

All construction and maintenance of the utility's installation within City public rights-of-way incident to utility's provision of service shall, regardless of who performs installation and/or construction, be and remain the responsibility of the utility.

The utility's work performance, equipment, and job sites shall be in compliance with all applicable City, County, State and Federal requirements. The utility's work, while in progress, shall be properly protected at all times with suitable barricades, flags, lights, flares or other devices as required by the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, FDOT Roadway and Traffic Design Standards and/or any requirements of the Public Works Department to protect all members of the public having occasion to use the portion of the streets involved or adjacent property.

The permittee and/or his contractor is responsible to provide trained individuals who are knowledgeable in the principles of proper Temporary Traffic Control zone (TTC), that are assigned responsibility for maintaining all Traffic Control Devices. The most important duty of these individuals should be to check that all TTC devices of the project are reasonably consistent with the approved TTC plan and are effective in providing reasonably safe conditions for motorists, bicyclists, pedestrians, and workers.



The public rights-of-ways, including sidewalks, curbs, gutters and landscaping must be restored to their legally permissible pre-existing condition, including any aesthetic enhancements thereto and any adjacent private property damaged during construction, maintenance or repair, of the Utility's facility within forty-five (45) days of completion of the construction, maintenance or repair.

Construction and/or Reconstruction shall be in accordance with the approved construction plans and with applicable codes, regulations and/or Ordinance of the City and Miami Dade County, the Florida Green Book, FDOT Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction and FDOT Roadway and Traffic Design Standards and the Florida Building Code.

Operations & Maintenance

Roads and Sidewalk Maintenance

One of the core services of the Public Works Department in conjunction with the Maintenance Department, is to keep maintaining the infrastructure of the City's roads by performing the following services:

  • Pothole repair
  • Elimination of vertical separations (tripping hazards) on sidewalks
  • Elimination of drop-offs at the edge of the traveled way with either asphalt or select fill
  • Guardrail repair
  • Pavement repair
  • Drain cleaning and repair
  • Replacing missing drain covers
  • Street sweeping along roadways with curb and gutters
  • Stormwater pump station maintenance

Depending on the location, homeowners' associations and/or individual property owners may also maintain private roadways.

If you have a problem concerning any of the above, please contact us at or by phone at (305) 455-6585

NOTE: Maintenance for the entire road system within Miami-Dade County is performed by several additional government agencies. For example: Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT)

Click here to access the City Roads Map

Flood Information

During the rainy season, the continuous downpours saturate and, on occasion, over saturate the ground; reducing the capacity of the Storm-water Drainage System. This may cause some temporary flooding along city streets and/or private property, creating potentially dangerous conditions.


Know Your Hazard

The Public Works Department provides Flood zone determinations using the Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) to determine if your property is in a Special Flood Zone Area (SFHA), and if you are required to carry flood insurance by federal law.



Did you know that Home-owner's and/or wind-storm insurance does not cover flood damage to a structure? All property owners should consider purchasing flood insurance. Flood insurance is available through the City's participation in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Flood Insurance can be purchased to protect all properties in the City including homes, condominiums, apartments, non-residential buildings and commercial structures. Due to the City's participation in the Community Rating Service (CRS), you will receive a reduction in the flood insurance premium.


Protection From Flooding

Turn around, don't drown. Do not attempt to walk or drive through puddles or moving flood waters. Designate a place where your family can rendezvous if an evacuation order is issued.


Protect Your Property

Relocate your possessions to the highest floor and place sandbags or similar barriers between floodwaters and your structure.


Build Responsibly

Get a building permit when making alterations to your property. Permit information is available from the Building Department at (305) 485-4526.


Protect The Natural Floodplain Functions

Do not dump in the storm drains. To report an issue with a storm drain contact Public Works (305) 455-6585.


Why is Flood Hazard Mapping Important?

It is important because it is a part of the National Flood Insurance Program and is used as the basis of the NFIP regulations and flood insurance requirements. FEMA maintains and updates data through the Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) and risk assessments. For more information on Flood Hazard Mapping, please visit the FEMA website at or call a Map Specialist in the FEMA Map Information eXchang: toll free, at 1-877-FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627).


Flood Map Modernization 

Flooding causes hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damage to homes and businesses around the country every year. Because standard homeowners and commercial property insurance does not cover floods, the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) was created to offer affordable flood insurance to communities that comply with the minimum standards for floodplain management. Communities that participate in the program get rated based on preservation of open space in the floodplain, enforcing higher standards for safer new development, maintaining drainage systems, and informing the community about flood hazards, insurance, and ways to reduce flood damage. These activities not only benefit the community by improving quality of life and protecting the environment but, also, save money. Flood insurance is mandatory for property owners who hold a federally backed mortgage and whose property is located within a special flood hazard area (areas designated as having a greater risk of flooding).

On September 11, 2009, the newly revised FIRM's (Flood Insurance Rate Maps) were implemented. The pervious maps were older and did not indicate recent changes in development and/or natural changes in the environment. Therefore, these maps were modernized to indicate more accurate data to reflect what flooding hazards exist today on any given property. Modernization of these maps could mean that your property could go from being designated as a SFHA (Special Flood Hazard Zone) or high risk zone, to a low or moderate - risk area (X-Flood Zone) or vice versa.

Owners of properties that move from a high-risk zone to a low-or moderate-risk zone may be eligible for reduced insurance rates by converting to a Preferred Risk Policy (PRP). A PRP covers both a structure and its contents.

Many people believe that federal assistance is available to cover flood related damages. This is true, but only when the flooding is declared a federal disaster. Even then, financial aid is usually available in the form of a loan, which must be paid back with interest. Unlike federal disaster aid, flood insurance pays for all covered losses without having the insured having to repay anything.

Even if a community (or portion) is designated as low- or moderate-risk area, everyone lives in a flood zone. You do not need to live near water to be at risk or be affected by flooding. Flooding can be caused by storms, hurricanes, water backup due to inadequate or overloaded drainage systems, a broken sewer line, dam or levee failure, etc. In fact, according to FEMA, in 2006 one in three flood insurance claims came from low-to-moderate risk areas.

For more information about how the new FIRM's affect you, please contact the City of Sweetwater Public Works Department at (305) 455-6585.


Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) 

The Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has issued Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) . If you have any questions please contact the FEMA Map Assistance Center, toll free, at 1-877-FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627) or visit their website at

National Flood Insurance Program and Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM)

In 1968, Congress created the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to provide affordable flood insurance to individuals who live in areas with the greatest risk of flooding called Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs). The NFIP makes federally backed flood insurance available in communities that agree to adopt and enforce floodplain management ordinances to reduce future flood damage. This is important because property owners who hold a federally backed mortgage must purchase flood insurance if the property is located within a special flood hazard area.


Flood Hazard 

During the rainy season, the continuous downpours saturate and, on occasion, over saturate the ground; thus, reducing the capacity of the Stormwater Drainage System. This seasonal occurrence may cause some temporary flooding along city streets or private property, possibly creating potentially dangerous conditions. Always use extra caution when driving during any rain event. Flooding or standing water should be reported to the Public Works Department at (305) 455-6585.


Flood Warning System 

Flood, hurricane and severe weather warnings are issued by the Miami-Dade Office of Emergency Management and the National Weather Service. Residents should stay tuned to the local TV, City of Sweetwater Channel 77, and radio stations for updates on storms.


Flood Safety 

If you are advised to evacuate, turn off all utilities at the main switches or valves. Disconnect electrical appliances, but do not touch any electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water. Avoid fast flowing water or unstable banks.


Flood Insurance 

Most mortgage lenders require flood insurance based on the elevation of the property. In the event that your mortgage does not have this provision or if you own your property free and clear, you may purchase this insurance at any time. Remember, there is a thirty (30) day waiting period before the policy becomes effective. Homeowner's insurance and/or windstorm insurance does not cover flood damage to the structure.

Because the City of Sweetwater is an NFIP community, flood insurance is available to protect all homes, condominiums, apartments and non-residential buildings, including commercial structures within the City. You are eligible for flood insurance, regardless of whether or not your property has ever flooded. All properties secured by a federally backed mortgage (FHA, VA, FNMA, etc.) must carry flood insurance.


Floodplain Development Permit Requirements 

All buildings under construction require permits. These permits must be obtained prior to commencement of construction activities. Contact the Building and Zoning Departments before you build, alter, regrade or fill your property. If you see any building or filling without a permit posted, please call our Code Compliance Department at (305) 221-0411.


Drainage System Maintenance 

Proper drainage helps reduce the risk of flooding. It is illegal for the direct or indirect entry of any solid, liquid or gaseous matter into the drainage system other than rainwater runoff. The City periodically inspects the drainage system and regularly schedules debris removal operations in order to keep the drainage system at peak performance. You can help in this process by keeping the streets clear of materials and debris that could potentially affect the drainage system. Please report any illegal dumping activities that may affect drainage and/or contaminate the ground water to the Public Works Department at (305) 455-6585.


Map Determinations & Elevation Certificates

The City provides Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) determinations to let you know if you are in a flood hazard area and if you are required by federal law to carry flood insurance.


Click here to access the Elevation Certificates Search

Did you know that floods are the most common natural disaster? 

Here are a few safety tips to consider, if you are ever faced with flooding.

  • Drowning is the number one cause of flood deaths. Currents can be deceptive; six inches of moving water can knock you off your feet. If you walk in standing water, use a pale or stick to ensure that the ground is still there. Also, do not disregard road barriers, the road or bridge may be washed out.
  • Stay away from power lines and electrical wires. Electrocution is the number two flood killer. Electrical currents can run through water. Report downed power lines to Florida Power & Light at (305) 442-8770.
  • Be ready for the unexpected. Place important documents inside plastic bags or other waterproof containers.
  • Look out for animals, especially snakes that may have been displaced by the flood.
  • Look before you step. The ground and floors may be covered with debris and mud.
  • Be alert for gas leaks. If you use natural gas, use a flashlight to inspect for damage. Do not smoke or use candles.
  • Rehearse your evacuation plan with all household members. Plan to leave early to avoid traffic delays.
  • Secure your boat. If possible, store it inside a garage or warehouse. If outside, make sure the boat is secure to the trailer and the trailer is tied down.
  • Remember to arrange for your pets. Most evacuation centers will not accept pets. Make plans in advance to board your pets in a kennel or with friends outside the hazard area.

Helpful Information

Helpful Links

Waste Collection

Beginning March 1, 2012, the City of Sweetwater has a new garbage and waste collection program. Your waste and recycling collection will be provided by Waste Pro.

Trash Pickup Schedule
East of Sw 112 Avenue Monday & Thursday
West of Sw 112 Avenue Tuesday & Friday
Recycle Trash Every Tuesday
Bulk Trash Every Monday

For any questions about the trash pickup schedule, please call WastePro @ 954.967.4200

Miami Dade County Trash and Recycling Centers (TRC) provide a do-it-yourself disposal option for residential waste fee customers that reside Sweetwater. Please note that personnel at the centers will ask customers to present photo identification before granting access to the facility.

Customers can drop-off household trash, tree and yard cuttings, white goods (old stoves, refrigerators, water heaters, washers, dryers, freezers, etc.) and up to one cubic yard of construction and demolition debris. You can also dispose of up to four standard automobile tires. The disposal of garbage (food or kitchen waste) at these centers is prohibited. Centers are open daily from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. year round, except for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Independence Day and Christmas Day, as observed by Miami-Dade County. Please note that personnel at the centers will ask customers to present photo identification before granting access to the facility.

Customers can drop-off household trash, tree and yard cuttings, white goods (old stoves, refrigerators, water heaters, washers, dryers, freezers, etc.) and up to one cubic yard of construction and demolition debris. You can also dispose of up to four standard automobile tires. The disposal of garbage (food or kitchen waste) at these centers is prohibited. Centers are open daily from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. year round, except for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Independence Day and Christmas Day, as observed by Miami-Dade County.

Please note that personnel at the centers will ask customers to present photo identification before granting access to the facility.

Collection Centers

Collection Center

Snapper Creek 1, 3*
2200 SW 117 Avenue

Collection Center

West Perrine 2*
16651 SW 107 Ave

*(1) Accepts used motor oil; (2) Accepts used electronics; (3) Does not accept white goods; (4) Does not accept tires.

Stormwater Utility

It is important to know that although the Miami-Dade County Water and Sewer Department (WASD) provides potable water and sewer services to City residents, the City of Sweetwater is the entity in charge of the publicly owned stormwater infrastructure in the City. As part of the Billing of Stormwater Charges Agreement between the Miami-Dade County and the City of Stormwater, WASD bills on behalf of the City, $5.00 per month to each residential unit and $5.00 per 1548 SF of the total impervious area to each commercial property. The money collected by WASD is then returned to the City and used to maintain, operate and improve the stormwater infrastructure including the regional stormwater system of canals and culverts, as well as catch basins, connection piping and french drains on public Rights-of-Way.

Please see sample Water and Sewer bill statement (2nd page) where you can see the Storwater Utiltiy charges how they appear in your bill. If you should have any questions regarding these charges, please feel free to contact us at (305) 455-6585 or email

What is storm water?

Stormwater is water from precipitation that flows across the ground and pavement due to rain (also called stormwater runoff). The water may seep into the ground, flow in ditches or streams, or enter the storm drain system. The storm drains are what you see at the street corners or at low points on the sides of your streets. The storm drains then lead to a discharge point directly into groundwater or one of the many canals within the City of Sweetwater, ground waters and eventually to larger water bodies.

Canals have a small amount of relatively clean baseflow that is caused by groundwater recharge and high water tables. In rain events, this baseflow is supplemented by stormwater runoff from impermeable surfaces (impermeable surface do not allow passage of fluids such as paved roads, concrete driveways, parking lots and sidewalks). Stormwater runoff is a major problem as it tends to pick up garbage.

The Stormwater Utility Department is responsible for the effective and efficient management of the stormwater runoff drainage infrastructure on public right-of-way utility within the City boundaries. As part of the effective management of the system, the Stormwater Utility Department implements various programs to maintain and improve infrastructure. This program include street sweeping, catch basin and drainage cleanup, canal maintenance, drainage improvements and new construction to minimize potential flooding. The City developed a Stormwater Master Plan which included design and construction of new stormwater improvements to address flooding issues within the City.

This type of pollution is called nonpoint source (NPS) pollution and is more of a problem than direct discharges from commercial industries plants.

Illicit discharge detection and elimination information

Building & Zoning Contacts

Building and Zoning Department

Manny Salazar

Phone: (305) 485-4522

Building Official / City Engineer

Eric J. Gomez

Phone: (305) 455-6585

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

The Maintenance Department is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the City's streets, facilities and vehicles. All public trees, shrubs, lawns and parks are cut and maintained by this department. It also provides free once a week trash collection and is responsible for the shuttle bus. Residents may place trash in the right of way on the day before their scheduled collection.

The City provides a shuttle bus every hour during day and evening hours throughout the city to FIU, the city's shopping centers, International Mall and Dolphin Mall. The service is free to all and is funded by transportation tax dollars.

Maintenance Dept.

1701 NW 110th Avenue
Sweetwater, FL 33174

Phone: (786) 507-4850


Alan Abolila

Phone: (786) 507-4850


Zinssia Barra

Phone: (786) 507-4850

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.